Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Zen and the art of making onself happy !

Last night was the first time i gave up on a book mid-way ! I was reading
"Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" and not sure if I am not in the right
frame of mind or if i did not understand what the author was talking about , I was
just bored reading it. So after around 150 pages of the 400+ page book, I decided
it was better to stop and pick up the book some other time rather than go through
the drudgery!
Well, how many times in life have we come across a situation when we don't want to
be in it but just choose to do so for various reasons ? I agree that it is very much an
arguable topic and that it depends on the situation at hand. It depends on what we
value and how much that forces us to prioritise and take a stand. What i learned
recently was that, "unless i am happy, i cannot make anyone else happy". Profound
truth which can be twisted in various ways.
Some might say that, making someone happy makes me happy ! Agreed. Do you
however see the bottomline ? "It makes me happy!" So yes, you do it because it
gives you satisfaction and happiness.
Some might term this as selfish! Imagine a person who is not happy doing something.
Will s/he let others be happy by accepting that fact and not complaining ? Very rare.
So you see the point is, all I can take care of is myself. Rest is beyond my control.
Why should I worry of things which are beyond my circle of influence anyways ?

Have started reading "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell now. Seems interesting.
Will post more on it as I go through.

1 comment:

Ramesh L said...

I agree that something is worth doing if it gives us a lot of satisifaction and happiness. And making someone happy at the cost of ourselves is not worth it. What I don't agree with is, "all I can take care of is myself. Rest is beyond my control". The world has always seen great people who have made a lot of difference in others' lives. Personally I have often found that happiness multiplies by giving more than grabbing. Not just tangible things such as money or kind, anything that you could do for others, however negligible. This can give you a sense of accomplishment and happiness which nothing else on the earth can give. The only thing to be taken care of is "discrimination". Whom to give what and when. That is to safegaurd ourselves. I hope that makes some sense.