Friday, November 20, 2009

Indian men

are hypocrites !

This is fact that I have to live with for the rest of my life!
Cos I am going to be with Indian men in my personal life
as well as professional.
Wont talk about the personal part, but the professional
discrepancy was there for more than me to see today.

I have been raising a couple of points since the time I moved
into this project regarding the way the team operates and
carries itself at a client site. That was the first resistance I
met - saying I was new and should not be bringing in too many
reforms all at once, which was a valid point. But the same
behaviour has become rampant now and has spread across
many teams. So we call for another meeting and I raise my
voice again. This to much dismay makes my male colleagues
(who are indians) uncomfortable of having a lady speak more
strongly than they and that our bosses agree to my point...
no matter how valid it is. It has also resulted in me being
infamous to a certain extent for moving the team out of the
comfort zone. All that is lacking is a formal protest!

Then we have a big shot lady manager here, who is Dutch,
and she has a reputation of being strict and well, not ruthless
exactly, but authoritarian. She is known to openly slam mistakes
and caring two hoots about who she is dealing with.

When I was discussing this with my team member, he was all
praises for her. I did a small test on him to check if the same
will work had she been an Indian working with Indians. The
answer was an expected "No.. it would not work!"

This is so unfair. Indian men do not mind a foreigner (lady)
bossing around and on them.. but the same done by an Indian
lady would not go down well with them. This is so absolutely
ridiculous.

I understand that this boils down to the Indian culture and roots
and upbringing and stuff... but men working abroad are exposed
to so much more than what they have been in their childhood.
They are also much more capable of thinking on their own,
judging what is right or wrong, where to draw the line between
personal and professional and the works. But this has not changed
the way they think! :-(
The so-called Indian values are so imbibed in them that they do
not take anything outside of that as acceptable and will openly
rebel!

Whoever said life is fair!


2 comments:

Justvish said...

LOL welcome to the jungle

Anonymous said...

Men have issues taking order from women world over... its not particilar issue with Indian men. However... indians in general... suffer from this 'slave mentality' vis-a-vis the white skinned ppl. This is entirely to do with 'indian upbringing' and gender neutral.